I navigate the "indie" books, so you don't have to

Monday, September 24, 2012

After Eden (Fallen Angels, Book 1) by Katherine Pine


     After Eden by Katherine Pine
          Kindle Edition: $0.99
          Paperback Edition: Not Available
          Length: approx. 319 pages
          Reading Level: older YA
          After Eden on Amazon (opens in a new window)

Let's talk about the cover for a sec. I can't decide how I feel about it. On the one hand, it's beautiful; simple and clean, no frills. On the other, it also seems...amateur? I'm not sure that's the word I'm looking for, but there's something about it that indicates it's not from a major publisher. Thoughts?

Devi knows something that most humans don't. Angels are real. She knows this, because six years ago, she watched one take away her twin brother. Every day, she's haunted by the heavenly glow that took Kai away, and the memory that she didn't do anything to save the person she loves most. Still, despite knowing about Angels, she never dreamed that there were demons, too. Until she meets one, and everything she thought she knew is turned upside down.

After Eden is the debut from author Katherine Pine. As of right now, she has two books published, the other one being the sequel, which I will review in the next post. In the blurb, I describe this as an older YA reading level. Near the end, the story does get rather violent, which certainly lends itself to the rating. But, as Devi is a fan of romance novels, there is a LOT of innuendo. Some is more blatant than others, but the innuendo and sexuality is usually in reference to the romance novels, not between Devi and her love interest, Oz. This book was one of the first in a slew of "theological romance" (as I have dubbed them) novels that I've purchased. There seems to be a trend in indie novels right now to write about Angels, Fallen Angels, etc. Mainstream novels still seem to be firmly entrenched in the dystopia/sci-fi realm, which is fine by me. Maybe the indie trend is a harbinger of what is to come? Anyway...

This is one of those books that I totally forgot I even had until I went back through my Kindle history. So, because I forgot it even existed, naturally I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I absolutely FLEW through it. I started reading it right after I wrote the review for Eden and I nearly finished it that night. But then I stopped, because, y'know, sleep is important. So I finished it within the next day or two. Yes, it's short, fine. But it's also a gripping read, one that keeps the pages turning. And the quotability, oh my! While Eden was quotable in a philosophical way, After Eden is quotable because it's just funny. Yeah, it waxes philosophical sometimes, because of all the theology that's thrown at the reader, but Oz is just funny. Again, yay for Kindle pre-highlighting the best quotes for me.

Unlike many other books where a central part of the plot is romance, there is no triangle to be had here. It's just Devi and Oz, only having eyes for each other. If there's a third wheel, it's Oz's precocious cat, Princess. No, really. Unfortunately, this novel, like so many other supernatural romances, has one of my pet peeves: the characters fall madly in love in no time flat. I mean, I get it. There are supernatural forces at work. Great. But I don't buy it. The only time I buy short-term LOVE is in Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, because she gives explicit (and I do mean explicit) reasoning for it.So, in this book, when Oz and Devi are hopelessly devoted after hours, much less days, it kind of makes me question things. This isn't to say, however, that the relationship is without its issues. Trust me when I say that there are PLENTY of issues for Devi and Oz to contend with, and they just pile up as the story moves on.

The writing, in terms of descriptions especially, is beautiful. Everything in the story, from the town to the characters, are described in breathtaking detail. Even better: not once is Oz referred to as an Adonis. I also applaud Ms. Pine on the cultural diversity that is apparent in the story. Devi is part Indian (from India; not Native American) and so we actually have an explanation for her black hair, other than the author thinks it makes the heroine mysterious. Devi's best friend, Kim, is Asian, so readers are given a head start in imagining her features. And Oz is...well, he's otherworldly. I especially love the descriptions of his eyes, because they are varied and interesting and give a great picture. My favorite is the use of "malachite" because it is so incredibly apt.

At times the characters (namely Devi) are believable, and yet other times they seem almost schizophrenic. While I understand that there is a LOT happening in their lives, what with life-or-death, end-of-the-world scenarios happening, the mood swings are insane. One minute, Oz and Devi are bantering, sharing sexy innuendo, whatever, and the next, one of them is crying or distant or pissed. Reasons are given, yes, but they don't always seem justified to me. That's not to say they are NEVER justified, but sometimes it seems to be out of left field. I wouldn't say, however, that the characters, Devi included, are dynamic. But they aren't necessarily static, either. Maybe the transformation will be more apparent by the end of the series, but right now, everyone seems to be carrying on more or less the same way they always have. There are enough small variations, however, to keep them from falling flat.

Stories about Fallen Angels are tricky. Or, really, any story that is in any way theological in nature. There is a LOT of background that needs to be given. Genesis, the Fall, Heaven, Hell, Life, the Universe, and Everything. It's a lot of information. And, at times, this story does fall into the trap of getting preachy. I'm sure it's not intentional, but it happens. But After Eden has an ace up its sleeve with Oz. He is so human, but yet so otherworldly. And hearing his story, it doesn't go overboard with the whole "God is Good" thing. In fact, there is definitely some resentment. As a reader, I totally empathized with Oz. We are always told that "life isn't fair," but it's never been more true than in the case of Pine's demons. And what a departure from standard-fare demons they are! These aren't necessarily disfigured beasts; in fact, they're quite tragic, even before their curse is revealed. These guys (and girls) just can't catch a break.

Like many YA novels, this one is told from a first person point of view. Devi is an interesting narrator, because, as a reader, I feel that I picked up on a lot of things that she missed. Which kind of creates a situational irony, where you're just begging for Devi to get it already.

The grammar is pretty solid, with only a few issues here and there, like homophones and wayward apostrophes. They become a little more numerous near the end of the story, which I find interesting and makes me wonder if she was just rushing or something wacky. The formatting of the story is fine, with no memorable issues. And, something I truly appreciated from an indie novel, the chapters were navigable on Kindle, meaning I could skip from one chapter to the next without having to page through if necessary.

I really enjoy most aspects of this book. Oz is a totally swoon-worthy romantic lead, and yet so tragic. Devi is an interesting narrator. And the other characters, the ones I can't reveal... They offer major transformations for the other characters in a hugely important way. The pacing is steady, and I never feel torn between wanting more main plot vs. romantic plot. My hands-down biggest issue with the book is the end. It feels unfinished. Yes, there is a sequel, but the way it happens almost feels as though books one and two were written in one fell swoop, and Pine decided that this was the most convenient place to split the two. So, there is no real resolution, the book just kind of...ends.

For 99 cents, this book is definitely worth a buy, and, of course, a read. It needs a bit of housekeeping before it could become a "big house" published book, but it is still enjoyable. It's witty, a little sexy, there's suspense, and an ethereal quality that makes it something...new. So go for it. After Eden, read After Eden.



(see what I did there?)


Happy reading!

-Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment